Carbon Monoxide Information
Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as wood, oil or gas do not burn correctly. This is known as incomplete combustion.
Carbon monoxide is impossible to detect without some kind of device as it is tasteless, colourless and odourless.
An average of 40 to 50 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year in the U.K alone.
How deadly this gas can be to humans depends on how high the levels are and the length of time exposed.
Examples of appliances that produce carbon monoxide and that can be found around the house that can cause CO poisoning are cookers, wall heaters, boilers, fireplaces, gas stoves etc.
The symptoms that are experienced depend on the length and levels of exposure and these can include sickness, headaches, sleepiness, feeling weak and others that are similar to flu.
When concentrations get higher than symptoms can lead to memory loss, damage to the central nervous system, unconciousness and eventually death.
The carbon monoxide gas poisons us by entering the blood stream and reduces the oxygen than is carried to the organs of the body.
Any one thought of suspected CO poisoning should be moved to fresh air as soon as possible before taken to hospital.
Afterwards switch off all fuel burning appliances and open all windows.
A carbon monoxide alarm will alert member of the house to the presence of CO gas.
Coordinate with other people to make more aware of carbon monoxide dangers.
To protect your home and family against the dangers of carbon monoxide, it is advised that a CO alarm is installed. When installing your alarm, ensure you read the instructions and mount them in the correct place. Different types can have differing instructions and it is important that they are placed correctly.